Sunday, June 26, 2011

Joyful Generosity; Ps 104

May the mumbling commence!

God has given us much!  The proper response is generosity – generosity toward others, because our Lord often comes in the form of strangers.  Think about some examples of this kind of visitation – when the three visitors  came to Abraham (and later tow of them came to Lot), when Elijah came to the widow of Zarephath, when Jesus walked along with Cleopas to Emmaus…  If these examples do not inspire you, then think about the parable of the sheep and goats from Matthew 25.

I believe the call to be generous is clear.  Generosity to others is an integral part of worshiping God.  It is what we are created to do – worship God generously by the way we relate to Him and to others.  It lifts the spirits of the giver and the receiver.  It embellishes our songs and prayers and meditations more than any instrument or five-dollar words could ever embellish.

Let us be cheerful in our generosity to others.  In this way, we will be pleasing to the Lord – just as the psalmist wrote:

I will sing to the Lord all my life;
I will sing praise to my God as long as I live. 
May my meditation be pleasing to him,
as I rejoice in the Lord. (Ps 104:33-34)

Enough mumbling (meditating) for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment