Sunday, June 26, 2011

Know Your Scripture! Ps 91

May the mumbling commence!

Be careful when someone quotes a lone verse to attempt to prove something.  Even the devil does it!  Satan quotes from Psalm 91, which is a part of today’s reading.  Satan quotes from verses 11 and 12.  Read them below:

For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways; 
they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

Indeed, the Lord will guard our ways.  However, there’s more to it than just this text.  It does NOT mean that we should lead a life of danger – just for danger’s sake.  Read the verses below in context:

If you make the Most High your dwelling –
even the Lord, who is my refuge –   
then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent. 
For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways; 
they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. 
You will tread upon the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent. 
"Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.  
He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him. 
With long life will I satisfy him
and show him my salvation." (Verses 9-16)

If you make the Most High you dwelling, then the following is true.  We come under the protection of the Lord when we walk with Him.  When we show our love for the Lord through obedience, the Lord will rescue us from predicaments that arise because of our faithfulness to Him.

It does NOT mean we take our lives lightly and thrill seek to impress others.  It means leading a humble and attentive life toward the Lord’s Spirit.

Enough mumbling for today…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment