Thursday, January 10, 2013

Sing, Shout, Roar & Clap; Pslam 98, Proverbs 8

May the mumbling commence!

I have always loved story and song.  As I read Psalm ninety-eight, I thought of a song – “Shout to the Lord”.  The words are: “Shout to the Lord all the earth let us sing, power and majesty.  Praise to the King.  Mountains bow down and the seas will roar at the sound of His Name.  I sing for joy at the work of His hands.  Forever I love you forever I stand.  Nothing compares to the promise I have in You.”  Now read a passage from Psalm ninety-eight:

Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth;
Break forth in song, rejoice, and sing praises. 
Sing to the Lord with the harp,
With the harp and the sound of a psalm, 
With trumpets and the sound of a horn;
Shout joyfully before the Lord, the King.  

Let the sea roar, and all its fullness,
The world and those who dwell in it; 
Let the rivers clap their hands;
Let the hills be joyful together before the Lord, 
For He is coming to judge the earth.
With righteousness He shall judge the world,
And the peoples with equity. (Verses 4-9)

Sing and shout and roar and clap.  These are the actions of joy!  And what brings us joy?  Our joy comes when our Lord judges the earth in all God’s righteousness. 

Wait a minute.  The Lord will judge justly.  How will it be when I am judged rightly for what I have or have not done?  The judgment of the Lord can be quite uncomfortable when it is focused on me… 

But, who better is there to trust to judgment?  Who else know better mercy and grace than our Lord?  No one knows mercy and grace and love better than God.  Only with God can these things be truly amazing.  Let us thank God for His wisdom from the very beginning.  Read from Proverbs chapter eight about this wisdom:

"The Lord possessed me at the beginning of His way,
Before His works of old. 
I have been established from everlasting,
From the beginning, before there was ever an earth. 
When there were no depths I was brought forth,
When there were no fountains abounding with water. 
Before the mountains were settled,
Before the hills, I was brought forth; 
While as yet He had not made the earth or the fields,
Or the primeval dust of the world. 
When He prepared the heavens, I was there,
When He drew a circle on the face of the deep, 
When He established the clouds above,
When He strengthened the fountains of the deep, 
When He assigned to the sea its limit,
So that the waters would not transgress His command,
When He marked out the foundations of the earth, 
Then I was beside Him as a master craftsman;
And I was daily His delight,
Rejoicing always before Him, 
Rejoicing in His inhabited world,
And my delight was with the sons of men.” (Verses 22-31)

Wisdom delights is us.  Let us delight in the wisdom of God.  Let us sing about it.  Let us shout and roar and clap.  What joy! 

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment