Friday, April 26, 2013

Holy Spirit, Reveals Mysteries; Ephesians


May the mumbling commence!

The Holy Spirit is our signet ring, our personal trainer, our gift distributor, and our protector.  We have learned these things about the Spirit of the living God by reading carefully Paul’s letter to the Ephesians.  There is at least one thing left to learn about the Holy Spirit from Ephesians.

The Holy Spirit is the revealer of mysteries.  Do you think that you have it all figured out?  If not, good – because you don’t.  Neither do I have it all figured out.  If you think you have it all figured out, then you have much in common with those who rejected Jesus and continue to reject him.

There are mysteries in this life…  Let us hand them over to the great Revealer of mysteries – the Holy Spirit of the living God.  Read from Ephesians chapter three (NRSV):

This is the reason that I Paul am a prisoner for Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles – for surely you have already heard of the commission of God's grace that was given me for you, and how the mystery was made known to me by revelation, as I wrote above in a few words, a reading of which will enable you to perceive my understanding of the mystery of Christ.  In former generations this mystery was not made known to humankind, as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit: that is, the Gentiles have become fellow heirs, members of the same body, and sharers in the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel. (Verses 1-6)

The mystery of Gentiles and Jews being admitted into the family of God was revealed to the apostles and prophets of Paul’s day through the Holy Spirit.  This news would come as a surprise to the Jews, who thought that separation was the best policy.  God has made them one.

I think there will be surprises for me when I enter the kingdom of God in all its fullness – surprise at who is there and who is not.  Our God is not a God of separation (that is the work of the devil).  Our God is a God of reconciliation.  Praise God!

I do not understand this mystery, but I hand it over to the capable hands of God through the working of the Holy Spirit.  I only pray that I can obediently follow the Spirit’s lead.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment