Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Panting with Thirst for God; Psalm 42, Proverbs 31

May the mumbling commence!

Why do we read the Bible over and over again?  I do so because I wish to develop a thirst for God – a thirst that will sustain me both in times of plenty and in times of want.  Psalm forty-two is written when the psalmist is in one of those times of want.  Read the familiar verses that begin the psalm:

As the deer pants for the water brooks,
So pants my soul for You, O God. 
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When shall I come and appear before God? 
My tears have been my food day and night,
While they continually say to me, "Where is your God?"  (Verses 1-3)

The presence of God is like water to my thirsty soul.  Though we can survive quite a time without food, we cannot live without water for much less time.  When we are not aware of God’s presence in our lives, tears will be our food.  I say “when we are not aware of God’s presence” because God is always near to us.

Let us open the front door wide.  Let us wait longingly for God’s presence to be real to us.  Let us swing on the front porch swing.  Let us turn on the front porch light to dispel the darkness of the terrible night of the soul.  And let us watch the horizon for any sign that our Lord comes.  Let us be ready to meet God with joy and enthusiasm.

And let us give thanks for the wonderful things and people that God has placed in our lives.  Right now, I want to pause and give thanks for my wife.  Read from Proverbs chapter thirty-one:

Who can find a virtuous wife?
For her worth is far above rubies. 
The heart of her husband safely trusts her;
So he will have no lack of gain. 
She does him good and not evil
All the days of her life. (Verses 10-12)

There is not better gift than a virtuous spouse.  Together, my wife and I, we are one manifestation of the loving relationship that Christ has with the Church (his Bride).  There is God – I say – right in the midst of my relationship of love with my wife!

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment