Saturday, July 14, 2012

A Trustworthy Saying; 1 Timothy 1-2

May the mumbling commence!

The grace of our Lord is abundant and evident.  Paul wrote to his spiritual son Timothy to underline this point.  He wrote to encourage Timothy in his ministry to some difficult people.  Surely, we do not have any difficult people in our church today…  Yeah, right.  Read Paul’s encouragement to Timothy from First Timothy chapter one:

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service.  Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief.  The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinnersof whom I am the worst.  But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.  Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.  (Verses 12-17)

Paul was strengthened in faith to be appointed to service for Christ Jesus.  Just as Paul was strengthened for service, so would Timothy be strengthened… so would you and I be strengthened. 

We are strengthened to serve Christ Jesus – even though we were sinners in our ignorance and unbelief.  I pray along with Paul (and with the man with a demon-possessed son), “I do believe, remove my unbelief!”

How great is the grace that God lavishes upon you and me!  Let us accept the gift with tangible acts of faith and love that are rooted in Christ Jesus.  And let us not remain silent in our joy. 

Paul says, “Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance.”  When we hear these words, we should pay close attention to the context.  In this case, the trustworthy saying follows the statement: Jesus came into the word to save sinners.

Jesus came to save sinners.  That leads me to a question: How do you perceive the church?  Do you see the church as a holding pen for the righteous or as a hospital for sinners?  The way that we answer that question will inform how we seek to manifest the church in our neighborhoods. 

Jesus came to save sinners… of whom I am the worst.  Those are the words of the Apostle Paul.  If Paul is the worst of sinners, where does that leave me or you?  I cannot fathom any other way to conceive the church but as a hospital for sinners. 

By the grace of God through the Holy Spirit, I am being healed and changed from a sinner into one that bears the likeness of Jesus more and more.  Everyone is invited to make that journey.  I need more company, so I will announce the Good News wherever I go. 

The example of the grace of God in me is meant for the benefit for those who have yet to believe in Jesus. It means caring for all people who come along my path… even those who may make me uncomfortable because they are different than me.  Read from First Timothy chapter two:

I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone – for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.  This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.  For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men – the testimony given in its proper time.  And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle – I am telling the truth, I am not lying – and a teacher of the true faith to the Gentiles. (Verses 1-7)

Pray and be thankful for everyone – even those who may hold authority over you and abuse you.  Such prayer and thankfulness will transform us and our attitudes toward other people.  It is the road to peacefulness and godliness and holiness.  God wants all people to be saved and to come to knowledge of the truth in Christ Jesus. 

Let us remember this especially in this season of political campaigning and as we seek to elect a president for the next four-year term.  Let us extend grace to all people of all political persuasions. 

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment