Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Humble Pie; 2 Corinthians 11-13

May the mumbling commence!

What does it mean to be humbled?  Paul sees the greatest slice of humble pie realizing that efforts to minister to other people were without lasting fruit.  Paul’s life was defined by strengthening others in Jesus Christ.  To see his efforts come to naught would be devastating.  Read what Paul wrote the Corinthian church at the end of Second Corinthians chapter twelve:

Have you been thinking all along that we have been defending ourselves to you? We have been speaking in the sight of God as those in Christ; and everything we do, dear friends, is for your strengthening.  For I am afraid that when I come I may not find you as I want you to be, and you may not find me as you want me to be. I fear that there may be quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, factions, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder.  I am afraid that when I come again my God will humble me before you, and I will be grieved over many who have sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual sin and debauchery in which they have indulged.  (Verses 19-21)

Everything that Paul and his companions did was to strengthen others in Christ Jesus.  Without success in this goal, Paul’s life would lose all its meaning.  Paul wants the people of Corinth to know this fact unequivocally.

To fail at strengthening others in Jesus Christ is Paul’s greatest fear.  Paul has set a high bar for success.  Paul desires to accurately reflect the glory of Christ Jesus, and he desires all that he teaches to reflect the glory of Jesus Christ.  Paul fears that neither may actually occur.

Paul fears that he will find quarreling and jealousy and anger and factions and slander and gossip and arrogance and disorder.  Whenever a community of people gets together for any length of time, these ugly realities rear their heads.  I wish I can say that I never was involved with a church that did not face these obstacles to faith.  In fact, I wish that I can say I was involved with any one church that did not face these issues.

To do what the Holy Spirit calls us to do, we must ignore the pressures and patterns and attitudes of this world.  Each step that we make in being more Christ-like is hard won.  We should rejoice when we have success.  We should celebrate each step taken in the path of Jesus.

Unfortunately, to return to the ways of the world is all too easy.  All the hard work of years can be undone by the carelessness or whim of the moment.  It is indeed humbling.

Let us not give sin a foothold by trying to hide it or ignore it.  Let us repent and start on the road to be like Christ.  Let us eat our slice of humble pie when it is necessary.  And let us strengthen one another in Christ Jesus.  It is a lofty goal.  It is one that brings honor and praise to the Lord Jesus.

What are we waiting for?!?

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out  

No comments:

Post a Comment