Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Encourage One Another; Titus & Philemon

May the mumbling commence!

This world can be a discouraging place.  Too often it feels easier to surrender to apathy.  But apathy is not the spirit that Christ Jesus calls us to.  We need to encourage one another.  How do we encourage one another?  I offer to you an excerpt from Titus and Philemon as two examples that Paul put forth.  Read the first one from Titus chapter two:

Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled.  In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us. (Verses 6-8)

We can encourage the godly life of self-control by setting an example with the way we live our lives.  Do what is good.  Show integrity.  Be serious and sound of speech to avoid condemnation and rebuke from other people. 

I strive for these things; but, those who know me, know that I am not serious all the time.  There is a time for comedy and lightheartedness, and there is a time for seriousness.  I always hope in the Lord that I know those times and act accordingly.

And there are other ways to encourage one another.  Read from Philemon:

Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints. 
Therefore, although in Christ I could be bold and order you to do what you ought to do, yet I appeal to you on the basis of love. I then, as Paul – an old man and now also a prisoner of Christ Jesus – I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, who became my son while I was in chains.  Formerly he was useless to you, but now he has become useful both to you and to me. 
I am sending him – who is my very heart – back to you.  I would have liked to keep him with me so that he could take your place in helping me while I am in chains for the gospel.  But I did not want to do anything without your consent, so that any favor you do will be spontaneous and not forced.  Perhaps the reason he was separated from you for a little while was that you might have him back for good – no longer as a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord. (7-16)

We encourage one another by our love in action.  Love in action refreshes the hearts of the saints.  It was on this basis of mutual love that Paul pleaded with Philemon to accept his runaway slave back as a brother in the Lord. 

Paul knew that this acceptance of Onesimus (whose name means “useful” in Greek) would exact a price for Philemon.  So Paul acknowledged his own price for sending Onesimus back to him.  Paul wanted to keep Onesimus as a valuable fellow servant in Christ Jesus.  Yet Paul did not want to hold Onesimus without the approval of Philemon.

You and I may not fully understand the price that Philemon would need to pay – both to his other slaves and to the community that surrounded him.  I do not think that we have an equivalent example of this sacrifice – at least not in the States. 

But love calls us to sacrifice for other people – to encourage the saints.  Let us encourage our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus by living a life of integrity, by carefully choosing our words and actions, and by putting our love into action.

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment