Thursday, November 10, 2011

What About... Me? John 21

May the mumbling commence!

As Peter was being reinstated by love, Peter played the finger pointing game.  When Jesus asks you and me if we love him, do we not only say yes but also show the fruits of feeding Jesus’ lambs?  When the microscope is fixed upon our lives do we feel more comfortable pointing to the life of another? Do we divert attention away from ourselves – what about him or her or them?  Read a few verses from John 21:

Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, "Lord, who is going to betray you?")  When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?" 
Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." (Verses 20-22)

Who is this “disciple whom Jesus loved” anyway?  I come from a large immediate family.  I am the youngest of ten children.  I know what it means to wonder if someone is loved more than another.  I’ve known the love that the baby of the family always gets.  I’ve also known the feeling of being second-rate when my older brothers and sisters didn’t want to take their bratty little brother along on their outings.

I am sure each one of Jesus’ disciples knew that Jesus loved him.  All of the disciples could say they were the disciple that Jesus loved.  Just as each of my siblings and I could attest that our parents loved us.  But still the question would arise: Who was loved the most.  Usually there is one in a large family who seen by most of the others as being loved the most.  In the case of the Twelve, most of the disciples would have pointed to John.

Peter saw John – one of the close knit inner circle within the Twelve, one that Peter saw as favored – and asked Jesus, “What about him?”

It’s a diversionary tactic that all of us have used at one time or another.  When the spotlight is upon our commitment to Jesus, we may want to ask about those who seem especially blessed by God.  Jesus does not get sidetracked by this tactic.

“What’s it to you,” Jesus told Peter.  Jesus says the same thing to you and me, “What’s it to you?”  Then, it’s right back to the subject at hand.  “You must follow me.”

Do you love Jesus?  Do I love Jesus?  What am I going to do today to show I love Jesus?  What are you going to do?

Let’s seek the wholeness of the people around us.  Let’s create a sense of peace and justice that begins in our own souls that can expand to our family and community circles.  Let’s take care of the vulnerable.  Let’s choose a beatitude to live out this day…

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.  Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.  Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.  Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.  Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.  Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.  Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.  Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. (Mt. 5:3-12)

Let’s wear our love for Jesus on our sleeves – regardless of the cost.  We find our worth only in the present and coming reign of God.

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment