Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Much More Than Tongues; 1 Cor. 14

May the mumbling commence!

In 1 Corinthians 14, Paul speaks about the use of tongues in the private and worship life of the church.  I find this passage interesting – especially when I think about those denominations and people who believe strongly in the second baptism of the Spirit which is manifested solely in speaking in tongues.  Read the passage below:

For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says.  For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.  So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.  If you are praising God with your spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand say "Amen" to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying?  You may be giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified. 
I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.  But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.  (Verses 13-19)

When we pray or sing hymns alone, we do not do this without an engaged mind.  So if you or I would speak or sing in tongues and not understand any of what we are speaking or singing, then our minds are on idle.  This idle mind is something that Paul speaks against.  He asked the Corinthians to pray for the ability to interpret, so that their minds would be engaged as well as their spirits.

And what about when we find ourselves in a body of worshipers?  If interpretation is not given, then another person will not understand what you are saying.  The other person will not be built up by your words.  Paul gives thanks for speaking in tongues, but he also says that he would rather speak five intelligible words than then thousand in a tongue.  The Corinthians’ goal when they gathered for worship was to instruct one another and edify one another.  They were to build one another up.

I do not believe that the goal of worship has changed.  We are still to edify one another and instruct one another in the ways of Christ Jesus.  We are still to glorify our Lord.  If these two things do happen, then the goal of worship is fully satisfied…

So the gifts of the Spirit are more than just the gift of tongues.  In this passage, we see also the gift of prophecy.  There are other gifts of the Spirit as well.  And the gift of speaking in tongues is not even the topmost on the list!  So, how can we tell someone, just because the gifts that they received through the baptism of the Spirit are ones other than speaking in tongues, that they do not have the Spirit of the Lord?

Instead, we should diligently search for the gifts of the Spirit as they grow naturally in Christians both young and old.  We should encourage the growth of these gifts.  And we should praise God for how he has gifted the body of Christ – which has many parts but are one body, with Christ at its head.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment