Friday, November 18, 2011

Lay on Hands for Service; Acts 13

May the mumbling commence!

In the context of the life of the church, the laying on of hands has more than one manifestation.  Most Christians would be familiar with the laying on of hands for people that are ill.  But there is another equally important way to use the laying on of hands.  The beginning of Acts chapter 13 illustrates this practice.  Read these verses from Acts 13:

In the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen (who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch) and Saul.  While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."  So after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off.  (Verses 1-3)

(As I pondered yesterday about Simon of Cyrene, now I wonder if “Simeon called Niger” and Simon of Cyrene are one in the same person.  If so, Simon would have been counted as one of the prophets and teachers of importance in Antioch.)

Antioch must have began to feel quite a place of comfort and success from Barnabas and Saul that it was difficult to leave behind the people they had grown to know and love.  They spent a whole year with the people of Antioch.  One Sabbath, they were fasting and worshiping the Lord; and the Holy Spirit spoke clearly to the whole group.  “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”

But, wasn’t that work right there in Antioch?  There was more fasting and prayer that followed to determine what the work was that Barnabas and Saul were set apart for.  Together, they came to the conclusion that the Lord was calling Barnabas and Saul to travel to spread the message of the Good News Christ Jesus.

So, the congregation placed their hands on Barnabas and Saul to bless them as they went on the work that God was calling them to.  Neither the congregation nor Barnabas and Saul clung to the other.  They parted ways knowing that the will of the Lord was being done.

Reading and reflecting on this passage makes me a little teary eyed.  It reminds me of the anointing and laying on of hands that my first “home” congregation had for me as I left to attend seminary.  After much prayer (What has happened to the spiritual practice of fasting anyway?  I believe we would benefit from reviving it.  It would be a witness to the instant gratification all-you-can-eat buffet that most people ascribe to.), we also decided that this was the Lord’s will in this matter.

Bethel Mennonite Church of Wadsworth, Ohio, sent me off to seminary in Elkhart, Indiana.  They supported me through their prayers.  They supported me through their love offerings of money to help defray the cost of seminary.  They did all these things without expecting anything in return.  No strings were attached.  They supported me in the hope that I would be able to serve another congregation in the name of Christ.

What faith!  Who says that a vibrant faith is best displayed in a large church!  Bethel Mennonite Church, at the time, was a church that averaged about 60 to 70 worshipers on any given Sunday morning.  I give thanks for Bethel Mennonite Church – for their ministry to me.  I also give thanks for my many “home” churches – Hively Avenue Mennonite of Elkhart, Indiana, Sunnyside Mennonite Church of Indiana, Faith Mennonite Church of Goshen, Indiana, Americus Mennonite Fellowship of Americus, Georgia, Hesston Mennonite Church of Hesston, Kansas, and my current “home” church of Community Church of the Brethren of Hutchinson, Kansas.    

I have experienced and have hopefully shown the love of God in each of these settings and many more.  I encourage each of you: search out the gifts of God that you find around you, anoint the bearers of these gifts, lay on hands, and send God’s children on the mission without any misgivings.  God will bless you if you do.  You and I cannot out give God.

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out   

No comments:

Post a Comment