Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Human Predicament - Part II. Genesis 3:8-13

May the mumbling commence!

The human story continues.  Let’s continue our reading from Genesis chapter three.  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

When they heard the sound of God strolling in the garden in the evening breeze, the Man and his Wife hid in the trees of the garden, hid from God.
God called out to the Man: “Where are you?”
He said, “I heard you in the garden and I was afraid because I was naked.  And I hid.”
God said, “Who told you you were naked?  Did you eat from that tree I told you not to eat from?”
The Man said, “The Woman you gave me as a companion, she gave me fruit from the tree, and, yes, I ate it.”
God said to the Woman, “What is this that you’ve done?”
“The serpent seduced me,” she said, “and I ate.” (Genesis 3:8-13)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden.  But the Lord God called to the man, "Where are you?" 
He answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid." 
And he said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?" 
The man said, "The woman you put here with me – she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it." 
Then the Lord God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?"
The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate." (Genesis 3:8-13)

Much is the same.  But interest comes in the differences.  And there are a few of them.

While Peterson has God strolling “in the evening breeze”, the NIV translation has God walking “in the cool of the day”.  I don’t know about you, but when I think of the coolest part of the day it’s typically early in the morning.  And there’s something about the temptation of Eve and Adam that feels right if it happened at night… the time of darkness and evil.  I would rather the Peterson translation read “in the early morning breeze”.

And Peterson underscores the thought that the Man and the Woman were hiding from God.  That’s true to the text – both the Hebrew words and the Spirit of the text.  I like the addition, because we often try to hide from God.  And we’re just about as successful as the Man and Woman were.

I also like Peterson’s addition of the Woman as companion of the Man.  It also is true to the text literally and spiritually.

The last difference that I noted was the verb used in what the serpent did to the Woman.  The NIV has the verb deceived, while Peterson chose the verb seduced.  I think both are accurate.  However, in this case, I particularly like Peterson’s choice.  It helps to underscore the actual immediate consequence of eating the forbidden fruit.

Did Adam and Eve suddenly gain important and total wisdom?  No.  They realized that they were naked.  Naked.  Eve and Adam were seduced.  Something – knowledge – came between them and God.  Knowledge was the first idol… and it’s still one of the strongest idols today.  The verb seduce also foreshadows the connection throughout the Hebrew Bible between idolatry and adultery.

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out 

No comments:

Post a Comment