Thursday, October 2, 2014

Sprint to Repentance - Part III. Zechariah 3-14, Malachi

May the mumbling commence!

Here we are at year’s end.  One year ago today, we started our journey through the Bible.  Now we sprint toward repentance again in the books of Zechariah and Malachi.  Read from them below:

Then the angel of the Lord spoke very solemnly to Jeshua and said, "This is what the Lord Almighty says: If you follow my ways and obey my requirements, then you will be given authority over my Temple and its courtyards. I will let you walk in and out of my presence along with these others standing here.  Listen to me, O Jeshua the high priest, and all you other priests. You are symbols of the good things to come. Soon I am going to bring my servant, the Branch.  Now look at the jewel I have set before Jeshua, a single stone with seven facets. I will engrave an inscription on it, says the Lord Almighty, and I will remove the sins of this land in a single day.  And on that day, says the Lord Almighty, each of you will invite your neighbor into your home to share your peace and prosperity." (Zechariah 3:6-10)

Then he said to me, "This scroll contains the curse that is going out over the entire land. One side says that those who steal will be banished from the land; the other side says that those who swear falsely will be banished from the land.” (Zechariah 5:3)

"This is what the Lord Almighty says: Judge fairly and honestly, and show mercy and kindness to one another.  Do not oppress widows, orphans, foreigners, and poor people. And do not make evil plans to harm each other.” (Zechariah 7:9-10)

“But this is what you must do: Tell the truth to each other. Render verdicts in your courts that are just and that lead to peaceDo not make evil plots to harm each other. And stop this habit of swearing to things that are false. I hate all these things, says the Lord." (Zechariah 8:16-17)

“So love truth and peace.” (Zechariah 8:19c)

"The purpose of my covenant with the Levites was to bring life and peace, and this is what I gave them. This called for reverence from them, and they greatly revered me and stood in awe of my name.  They passed on to the people all the truth they received from me. They did not lie or cheat; they walked with me, living good and righteous lives, and they turned many from lives of sin.  The priests' lips should guard knowledge, and people should go to them for instruction, for the priests are the messengers of the Lord Almighty.” (Malachi 2:5-7)

“At that time I will put you on trial. I will be a ready witness against all sorcerers and adulterers and liars. I will speak against those who cheat employees of their wages, who oppress widows and orphans, or who deprive the foreigners living among you of justice, for these people do not fear me," says the Lord Almighty. (Malachi 3:5)

Indeed, we have our choices before us.  Which way will we choose?  Choose the way of life, which is the Way of Jesus… the Way of obedience.  Reject the way of death.  That’s any other way.

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment