Monday, January 21, 2013

Revival! Psalm 119, Proverbs 19

May the mumbling commence!

Today, I read through the longest chapter of the Bible – Psalm one-hundred nineteen.  Within this psalm, I see a theme of revival through the Word of the Lord.  I was drawn to the stanza of the Hebrew letter HE.  Read it below:

Teach me, O Lord, the way of Your statutes,
And I shall keep it to the end. 
Give me understanding, and I shall keep Your law;
Indeed, I shall observe it with my whole heart. 
Make me walk in the path of Your commandments,
For I delight in it. 
Incline my heart to Your testimonies,
And not to covetousness. 
Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things,
And revive me in Your way. 
Establish Your word to Your servant,
Who is devoted to fearing You. 
Turn away my reproach which I dread,
For Your judgments are good. 
Behold, I long for Your precepts;
Revive me in Your righteousness. (Verses 33-40)  

The revival that the psalmist talks about in this stanza is deep and transforming.  It is a heart issue – one that deals with deep-seeded attitudes.  It is an everyday living of life issue.  It is about a daily walking of the Path that God sets before us.  It is about what we allow to attract our attention and energies and efforts. 

Guide our eyes.  Guide our desires.  May we never covet those things that we rarely can have and that we can never keep.  These types of things are not ours to possess.

Revive us in the Way of Christ, Your Word.  May we fear and obey you as Jesus did.  To walk in this Way is to ask and seek and pursue the revival of righteousness in our lives regardless of the personal cost that it will exact.

This is deep change, indeed!  It is returning to be what our Creator originally intended us to be.  This change will mean the salvation of our souls.  Read from Proverbs chapter nineteen:

He who keeps the commandment keeps his soul,
But he who is careless of his ways will die. (Verse 16)

Let us keep the Word of the Lord.  When we do, we have no fear for our immortal souls.  Let us live a life of care for the Lord and for one another. 

Carelessness and selfishness will pave the way to death.  And that way is wide and easy to find.

Help us, O Lord, to find Your narrow Way.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment