Friday, January 25, 2013

Lord, Build and Guard Our Lifework; Psalm 127, Proverbs 23

May the mumbling commence!

Life can be labor-intensive.  That is a fact.  We can wear ourselves out quite easily.  I have spent this week recuperating from being in a community theatre production. 

I have also spent time – the “free” time that I have returning to the group of books that I like the most.  I have returned to the depth of study that goes along with preparing to preach.  It is the most important creative outlet available to me.

But, I know that whatever I do, I need to keep the Lord central to my life.  That is the primary reason that I continued to read Scripture daily during all those rehearsals.  Even during the drain of tech week and four shows, I keep close to my Bible.  Sometimes, I read my daily Scripture in my car while I was waiting outside the theatre.

The importance of keeping the Lord central to all we do in our lives cannot be overstated.  I look forward to taking my turn as director.  I look forward to the chance to direct a production that tells the resurrection story of Jesus. 

I am pumped.  That is why I ask for your prayers.  That is why I will continue to seek God through His Word.  Read from Psalm one-hundred twenty-seven:

Unless the Lord builds the house,
They labor in vain who build it;
Unless the Lord guards the city,
The watchman stays awake in vain. 
It is vain for you to rise up early,
To sit up late,
To eat the bread of sorrows;
For so He gives His beloved sleep. (Verses 1-2)

Each of us seeks to build upon the talents that the Lord has given us.  One of those gifts, for me, is a love of story.  I love storytelling.  And there is no better story to tell than the redeeming story of Jesus.

Lord, help me to build this story.  Help me chose the cast.  Help me guard the integrity of Your Word.  Help me to tell the story in a compelling way.  If even one person comes to Christ because of this effort of Your Body (yes the cast and crew will function as a part of the body of Christ), then all the work is worthwhile.

There will undoubtedly be late nights and early mornings.  There will be much to worry and fret about.  That is why I will pray and invite those who take part in the production to be in constant prayer.  God will make our rest fruitful.  God will make our efforts fruitful.

It will happen if each person realizes that the production is not about him or her.  It is not about the director or the cast or the set.  It is about Jesus.  If we remember that fact, then we cannot go wrong.

Let us rest in the Lord.  Let us not fret about money.  Let us put all our efforts into the reaching of people with the story of Christ – the greatest story of all.  It is the most important story to tell.  Read from Proverbs chapter twenty-three:

Do not overwork to be rich;
Because of your own understanding, cease! 
Will you set your eyes on that which is not?
For riches certainly make themselves wings;
They fly away like an eagle toward heaven. (Verses 4-5)

To Christ alone be the glory! 

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment