Friday, June 29, 2012

Lovely, The Holy Spirit; 1 Corinthians 12-14


May the mumbling commence!

How does the Holy Spirit mark its presence in our lives?  Some people would have us believe that we must speak in tongues to show that we have the Spirit.  While that is one sign, there are many more signs of the Holy Spirit at work within the believer.  He lists some in First Corinthians chapter twelve (verses 28-29).  They are apostles, prophets, teachers, miracles, healing, helping, guidance, and speaking different tongues.  This list is incomplete even, as any thorough study of the New Testament would tell us.

Is there a greater gift?  If so, which gift is greater?  Paul speaks to the greatest of the gifts of the Spirit in the thirteenth chapter of First Corinthians.  That chapter is often called the love chapter.  Want to guess what the greatest gift of the Spirit is?  Read the first few verses below:

If I speak in human or angelic tongues, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.  If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.  If I give all I possess to the poor and give my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.  (Verses 1-3)

Love is the key element that holds all other gifts of the Spirit together.  Without love, we will become conceited.  Without love, the message – the Good News – will be distorted beyond all recognition.  Without love, I speak like the adults in the Peanuts cartoon.  I speak only meaningless syllables.

Without love, I am nothing.  Without love, I gain nothing in all my hardships and services to the Lord.

What is at the heart of the attitude that we do (and not do) all the things that we do?  The answer to that question is just as important (potentially more important) than what we do (and do not do).

May you and I act out of love – love for God and neighbor.  Then our service and suffering for the Lord will be greatly amplified.  God’s love will be evident to all.

May it be so.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment