Wednesday, June 6, 2012

God at the Steering Wheel; John 8-10

May the mumbling commence!

Is God your co-pilot?  Is Jesus your co-pilot?  Then, move over!  God belongs in the driver’s seat.  Read from Luke chapter eight, where people are questioning Jesus about who he is:

"Who are you?" they asked.
"Just what I have been claiming all along," Jesus replied.  "I have much to say in judgment of you. But he who sent me is reliable, and what I have heard from him I tell the world." 
They did not understand that he was telling them about his Father. 
So Jesus said, "When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am the one I claim to be and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me.  The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him."  
Even as he spoke, many put their faith in him. 
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.  Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (Verses 25-32)

Jesus neither does anything nor speaks anything without first being prompted by God – the One who sent him.  And God walks with Jesus – not because Jesus is great but because Jesus does just what God has told him to do.  Doing what God tells us to do is what pleases God.  It is not so much about God being on our side.  It is more about us being on God’s side.

Moving over and allowing God to steer your life path is the way to knowing truth.  And that truth will set you free.  No longer will you have to worry about steering yourself right.  Watch where God takes you.  Listen intently at what the Spirit whispers in your ears.  And obey.  Obedience is the bottom line in pleasing God.

There will be times in our lives when we wish we could navigate – or maybe even reach for the steering wheel.  There have been times in my life like that.  Does God really want me to go there?

I guess that is why God is like a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path (Psalm 119:105).  God only lets us see so far into our future.  I find comfort in that.  I have no idea where God may lead in the long term.  And that’s a good thing!  If I see too far ahead, I may begin to dig in my heels and grab for the steering wheel.

God, this day, I give you the steering wheel of my life.  I know all my wisdom and planning can only see through to the very short term in Your eyes.  I trust you, O God, to guide me rightly because I know that the plans that you have for my life are both pleasing and perfect.

Thank You for this truth.  Thank You for freeing me to become what You have created me to be.  Obedience is my greatest desire so that I may bring praise and glory to the Name of the Lord.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment