Friday, December 9, 2011

What Are We Willing to Do For Jesus? Acts 21

May the mumbling commence!
What am I will to do for the sake of Jesus’ name?  What are you willing to do for the sake of Jesus’ name?  Before we answer these questions, let’s read a passage from Acts chapter twenty-one:
After we had been there a number of days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea.  Coming over to us, he took Paul's belt, tied his own hands and feet with it and said, "The Holy Spirit says, 'In this way the Jews of Jerusalem will bind the owner of this belt and will hand him over to the Gentiles.'" 
When we heard this, we and the people there pleaded with Paul not to go up to Jerusalem.  Then Paul answered, "Why are you weeping and breaking my heart? I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus."  When he would not be dissuaded, we gave up and said, "The Lord's will be done." (Verses 10-14)
In our lives here on this earth, we will have many pulls and tugs that guide what we do.  Sometimes, there will be multiple pulls and tugs in numerous directions – all at the same time.  When these multiple tugs happen, we are forced to choose between them.  The choices are rarely clear cut or easy.
In my decision-making apparatus, what holds the most clout?  Does family hold the most clout?  Does work hold the most clout?  Does church hold the most clout?  Does leisure hold the most clout?  Does the call of Jesus ever enter into my thought processes?
These questions are all about priority setting.  None of these pulls on our lives are bad, but conflicts will arise.  Sometimes, the conflicts will be schedule-wise (I still haven’t figured out how to be at more than one place at one time!), and some of the conflicts will be faith-oriented.  Who or what is first priority in my life?
That’s a good question to ask those who know me the most – humanly speaking, my wife.  What would she say about my priorities..?
I aspire to have the call of Jesus through the Holy Spirit be first priority in my life.  I want to do great things for the sake of Jesus’ name.  But, how do I respond in a situation where speaking about my faith in an uncertain situation let alone a situation that I am pretty sure will be hostile?  Too often, I keep silent.
I could say that my life speaks volumes, the way I live my life.  But the true judge of that is God.  Even so, I would learn a lot from listening to those people who know me the most.  And even if my life is exemplary, to say my life speaks for my faith is a cop out.  Some people would point me to St. Francis of Assisi who said, “Preach the gospel, if necessary use words.”  What people sometimes fail to understand is that St. Francis obviously used words – he’s being quoted here!  Not only that, but Jesus also used words…
Who am I to think that I can get the Gospel message of the Good News of Jesus without speaking at all?!? 
So, what am I willing to do for the sake of Jesus?  In the passage above, Paul was willing to be bound and to die for the sake of Jesus’ name.  And this willingness was coming from a man who earlier had persecuted those who followed Jesus!  I often feel that I am not willing to risk social ostracism for the sake of Jesus’ name…
Let’s not forget doing for the sake of Jesus’ name will not always bring popularity and success.  More often, doing for Jesus’ name will mean losing friends and family.  Doing for Jesus could mean losing a job.  Doing for Jesus could mean putting my life and the lives of my family at risk.
I aspire to have the call of Jesus through the Holy Spirit be first priority in my life, but that life call is truly a never-ending journey.  I wonder what the people who know me best would say about me.
Enough mumbling for now…
Peace Out  

No comments:

Post a Comment