Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Five Days and Counting... 2 Peter, Jude

May the mumbling commence!

Christmas is only five days away.  For an adult, that five days will pass by in the blink of an eye.  For a child, that five days will drag on for what seems like decades.  I remember those days of waiting day after day, hour after grueling hour.  The waiting got exponentially worse when school let out for the Christmas Break.  No, I am NOT advocating no Christmas Break. 

Even the night before Christmas was wrought with agony for me as a child.  I remember staying up all night with my brothers and sisters trying to pass the time playing board and card games.  I remember sneaking downstairs to “go to the bathroom.”  The real motive was peeking into the living room where the Christmas tree and all the Christmas presents were.

As an adult now, I know better (sort of).  God must think adults are quite childlike when it comes to the Advent Season.  I cry out like many other Christians: “Come, Lord Jesus!”  I mean, what are you waiting for?!?  When does doubt in God and His son Jesus begin to set in?  Where does this doubt come from?  Read a passage from 2 Peter chapter three:

First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires.  They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation."  But they deliberately forget that long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water.  By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed.  By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men. 
But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.  The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. (Verses 3-9)

There’s my answer and your answer.  The Lord is not slow in bringing the Second Advent of Jesus.  The Lord is patient.  The Lord is patient with you and me.  God does not desire that you or I might perish.  Our Father in heaven wants each of us to come to repentance.  But we must come to it repentance.

And what if God would not wait for those who dilly dally?  What if God had not waited for me?  I came to Christ and received a new life through baptism when I was almost nineteen.  If you have been baptized, how old were you?  What if God did not wait for you? 

With these thoughts in mind, I have no problem waiting and being active in my life and growing on my journey of being a Christian, of being Christ-like.  We have the tools to grow in such a way.  We read of them earlier in 2 Peter chapter 1:

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.  Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. (Verses 3-4)

In the following verses, Peter describes these tools.  The tools of the Christian life are: faith, goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, and love.  Each tool builds on the other.  And, yes, the pinnacle is love. 

Remember our Lord’s patience means salvation for you and for me and for all who will actively receive it.  As Paul wrote to Timothy in his second letter to him, I am not ashamed  of my faith in Christ, for I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.  I will close with the beautiful benediction from the end of Jude:

To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy – to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen. (Verses 24-25)

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment