Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Paying Attention - Even When It Doesn't Seem to Pay; Isaiah 48-50

May the mumbling commence!

Pay attention – even when it does not seem to pay.  Just because we did not pay attention the first time does not mean that we should not learn from our past mistakes.  We should learn to run from those mistakes – even when running would seem to hurt our bottom line.  Paying attention to the Lord will cost us in the short term, but it will bless us beyond our wildest imaginings in eternal time – which is both a quality and quantity of time.  Read from Isaiah 48:17-22 –

            This is what the Lord says – your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
            "I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you,
                        who directs you in the way you should go. 
            If only you had paid attention to my commands,
                        your peace would have been like a river,
                        your righteousness like the waves of the sea. 
            Your descendants would have been like the sand,
                        your children like its numberless grains;
            their name would never be cut off nor destroyed from before me." 
            Leave Babylon, flee from the Babylonians!
            Announce this with shouts of joy and proclaim it.
            Send it out to the ends of the earth;
                         say, "The Lord has redeemed his servant Jacob." 
            They did not thirst when he led them through the deserts;
                         he made water flow for them from the rock;
            he split the rock and water gushed out. 
            "There is no peace," says the Lord, "for the wicked." 

Babylon was leader of the world.  Good fortune came to those who walked in step with Babylon.  But Babylon was drunk with all her accomplishments.  Babylon was not paying attention to the Lord, who raised her up to afflict Israel.  And the Lord had raised Israel up to afflict those peoples who were living in Canaan.  Do we see a pattern here? 

That is why Israel is commanded to flee from Babylon.  Babylon was going to suffer the same fate as Israel and as the Canaanites of old.  Indeed, run away.  Run back to the Lord – even when it does not make sense in human wisdom.  There is no lasting peace for the wicked.  We have an example we are to follow – that of the Servant of the Lord, Jesus Christ of Nazareth.  Read about him from Isaiah Chapters 49 and 50:

            Before I was born the Lord called me;
                      from my birth he has made mention of my name. 
            He made my mouth like a sharpened sword,
                      in the shadow of his hand he hid me;
            he made me into a polished arrow
                      and concealed me in his quiver. 
            He said to me, "You are my servant, Israel,
                      in whom I will display my splendor." 
            But I said, "I have labored to no purpose;
                     I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing.
           Yet what is due me is in the Lord's hand,
                    and my reward is with my God." 
           And now the Lord says –
                    he who formed me in the womb to be his servant
                    to bring Jacob back to him and gather Israel to himself,
                    for I am honored in the eyes of the Lord
                    and my God has been my strength –
           he says: "It is too small a thing for you to be my servant
                    to restore the tribes of Jacob
                    and bring back those of Israel I have kept.
           I will also make you a light for the Gentiles,
                   that you may bring my salvation
                   to the ends of the earth." (49:1b-6)

                     See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
     your walls are ever before me. (49:16)
           
           The Sovereign Lord has given me an instructed tongue,
                   to know the word that sustains the weary.
           He wakens me morning by morning,
                   wakens my ear to listen like one being taught. 
           The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears,
                   and I have not been rebellious;
                   I have not drawn back. 
           I offered my back to those who beat me,
                   my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard;
           I did not hide my face from mocking and spitting. 
           Because the Sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced.
           Therefore have I set my face like flint,
                  and I know I will not be put to shame. 
           He who vindicates me is near.
                   Who then will bring charges against me?
                   Let us face each other!
           Who is my accuser? Let him confront me! 
            It is the Sovereign Lord who helps me.
                    Who is he that will condemn me?
            They will all wear out like a garment;
                     the moths will eat them up. 
             Who among you fears the Lord
                     and obeys the word of his servant? 
             Let him who walks in the dark, who has no light,
                     trust in the name of the Lord
                     and rely on his God. (50:4-10)

By the accounts of the world, Jesus is a failure.  By the accounts of the Lord, Jesus is the Greatest Overcomer. 

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out 

No comments:

Post a Comment