Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Leader to Put our Hope On; Hosea 10-11

May the mumbling commence!

As the upcoming presidential election steadily approaches, the potential candidates step forward.  And, my worries begin to mount.  It makes me connect with the words of Hosea from Chapter 10:

            Then they will say, “We have no king
                        because we did not revere the Lord.
            But even if we had a king,
                        what could he do for us?”
            They make promises,
                        take false oaths
                        and make agreements;
            therefore lawsuits spring up
                        like poisonous weeds in a plowed field.  (Verses 3-4)

Though it was written long ago, it seems quite apt for today’s world.  It seems not much has changed.  Indeed only the names and titles have changed.  We have no hope – except for the Lord.  Read from Hosea Chapter 11:

            “When Israel was a child, I loved him,
                        and out of Egypt I called my son.
            But the more I called Israel
                        the further they went from me.
            They sacrificed to the Baals
                        and they burned incense to images.
            It was I who taught Ephraim to walk,
                        taking them by the arms;
            But they did not realize
                        it was I who healed them.
            I led them with cords of human kindness,
                        with ties of love;
            I lifted the yoke from their neck
                        and bent down to feed them.” (Verses 1-4)

Yes, I do believe that if you do not vote that you do not have the right to complain.  However, I will also say that my hope does not lie in the Democratic or Republican parties.  Nor does my hope lie in any independent newcomers or fads.  My hope lies in the Lord Jesus Christ alone.  And my hope will not be defeated – for if there is no hope in Christ, then there is no hope at all…

Still, my prayer would be that the Lord will make clear which candidate is the best for the job of leading the United States.  May the will of the Lord be done!

Enough mumbling for today…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment