Thursday, February 6, 2014

No Turning Back. First Kings 18-19; Acts 21

May the mumbling commence!

Jesus once told a would be follower that he couldn’t return home to see his family after the invitation to follow was given or the commitment to follow was given (Luke 9:61-62).  There is no turning back once you decide to serve the Lord.  I believe that this fact is what Elijah hinted at when he anointed Elisha. And this fact is what drove Elisha not to return home to his parents but to make a sacrifice instead.  Read from First King chapter nineteen:

So Elijah went and found Elisha son of Shaphat plowing a field with a team of oxen. There were eleven teams of oxen ahead of him, and he was plowing with the twelfth team. Elijah went over to him and threw his cloak across his shoulders and walked away again. 
Elisha left the oxen standing there, ran after Elijah, and said to him, "First let me go and kiss my father and mother good-bye, and then I will go with you!"
Elijah replied, "Go on back! But consider what I have done to you." 
Elisha then returned to his oxen, killed them, and used the wood from the plow to build a fire to roast their flesh. He passed around the meat to the other plowmen, and they all ate. Then he went with Elijah as his assistant. (Verses 19-21)

To follow God is to accept sacrifice.  I live this every day when it comes to my parents.  I live over a thousand miles away from my parents.  I miss them very much, but I’ve accepted the call of God on my life to serve as a minister.  I may never move back home.  I have a new home now – where the call of God is on my life.

It is here in Kansas that I must learn to speak the lingo of the Great Plains, so far from my birthplace of Ohio.  And, when you learn to speak peoples’ language they take notice.  Look at the effect Paul had on people when he spoke to them in their own heart language.  Read from Acts chapter twenty-one:

As Paul was about to be taken inside, he said to the commander, "May I have a word with you?"
"Do you know Greek?" the commander asked, surprised.  "Aren't you the Egyptian who led a rebellion some time ago and took four thousand members of the Assassins out into the desert?" 
"No," Paul replied, "I am a Jew from Tarsus in Cilicia, which is an important city. Please, let me talk to these people." 
The commander agreed, so Paul stood on the stairs and motioned to the people to be quiet. Soon a deep silence enveloped the crowd, and he addressed them in their own language, Aramaic. (Verses 37-40)

When we speak to a person in their heart language, misunderstandings melt away.  The path to what we need is opened.  Speaking a peoples’ language also can sooth an angry crowd.  The crowd of people who were ready to stone Paul to death quieted when he addressed them in their heart language.  What power!

Even when we make small attempts to speak in a person’s heart language, it will make an enormously positive impact on our relationship with the person.  I vividly remember when I was subbing for a school bus route and there was a student who spoke Spanish as his heart language.  I sent him off the bus by saying goodbye in Spanish and wishing him a good afternoon.  Oh, how his eyes lit up!  We cannot overstate the power of speaking to someone in their heart language.

So learn bits and pieces of a new language.  Step by step leave behind the comfortable homes you have built.  Find a new home in seeking out God’s will for your life.  You will never make a better decision in your life.  I can attest to that.

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment