Friday, March 16, 2012

Jesus Prayed for Us; John 17

May the mumbling commence!

Did you know that Jesus prayed for you?  He did.  His prayer is recorded in the seventeenth chapter of John.  It is comforting to have a recorded prayer for us that Jesus spoke.  What was the content of that prayer?  Read the passage from John seventeen:

"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.  I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 
Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. 
Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me.  I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them." (Verses 20-26)

This passage has always had a special place in my heart.  That special place in my heart expanded when I memorized a majority of this chapter of John for a passion play that I wrote and acted in.  The first part of this passage makes reference to the prayer that Jesus had just prayed for his original disciples.  You and I believe in Jesus – at least partly – because of their message.

So, what is the theme of Jesus’ prayer for us?  I think that the theme is difficult to miss and difficult to achieve.  Jesus prayed for unity in the church.  It is not hard to see the fracturing of the church.  The fracturing of the church began a long time ago.  Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox split from one another.  But that was only the beginning.  Martin Luther posted his theses upon the Guttenberg door, and the Protestant Church was born.

And the Protestant Church is many and varied.  Here is a non-comprehensive list:  Lutheran, Calvinist, Methodist, Mennonite, Brethren, Baptist, Church of God, Presbyterian, Church of the Nazarene, Seventh Day Adventist, Pentecostal, Amish, Friends/Quakers, Four Square Gospel, and many more.  Where is the unity?

Well, I guess variety can be good right?  God created a world with wonderful variety.  Why not have churches with wonderful variety of denominations as well?  Variety and diversity are God-given blessings – if we do not allow them to fracture our lives with one another.

Unity must take place within the variety and diversity.  It is important.  Jesus says so.  Our unity will clue the whole world into the fact that God sent Jesus into the world.  Jesus says this twice in the passage above.

This unity in the midst of diversity can only take place through the grace of God.  We must remain in the vine of Christ Jesus.  When we are in Christ and Christ is in God, unity will happen.  I have witnessed it happening.

A little over five years ago (on March first of 2007) a tornado hit the community of Americus, Georgia.  In the midst of disaster, it mattered little what denomination churches were affiliated with.  It mattered little what the skin color of the believer was.  All of God’s church joined together to help people clean up and rebuild.  In this case, tragedy brought out the best in the Church.  But it was all too easy to return to our own little corners and relate to each other less and less as time passed.

Sometimes I wonder how much the gospel message of Christ is hampered by the division between and within the denominations.  I have no doubt that Jesus will overcome this roadblock – with our without our help.  Let’s reach across the arbitrary lines that we have drawn and proclaim a gospel message together that no one can ignore.  May there be unity in all God’s church in our lifetimes.  That is my prayer, too. 

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out   

No comments:

Post a Comment