Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Testify! John 5; Matthew 10

May the mumbling commence!

Jesus made some pretty bold claims.  They would indeed be blasphemous if they proved false.  In the Law, testimony needed to be given by two or three witnesses in order to be considered valid.  Think about this need as you read from John chapter five:

"If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid.  There is another who testifies in my favor, and I know that his testimony about me is valid. 
You have sent to John and he has testified to the truth.  Not that I accept human testimony; but I mention it that you may be saved.  John was a lamp that burned and gave light, and you chose for a time to enjoy his light. 
I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the very work that the Father has given me to finish, and which I am doing, testifies that the Father has sent me.  And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent.  You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life. 
I do not accept praise from men, but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts.  I have come in my Father's name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him.  How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the only God?” (Verses 31-44)

Here are the witnesses that testify that Jesus is the Son of God: 1) John the Baptist testified to this truth.  2) The work that Jesus does for the Father testifies to this truth.  3) The Scriptures testify to this truth.  God has said it; therefore, it is.  This truth is recorded in the Scriptures for you and me to discover.  Jesus’ work of perfect obedience testifies to the truth of God.  And John read the Scriptures and testified to the truth that he saw there.  All of these things praise God.

From whom do we seek praise?  Are you a people pleaser?  It is not hard for me to fall into this pattern.  It builds up the ego…  But, it is not about me.  That’s the problem with seeking praise from our fellow brothers and sisters.  Many times, seeking the pleasure of our brothers and sisters will be against the will of God.  It will mean simple disobedience.  And God cannot be pleased with our disobedience.

To please God, we will need to make a concerted effort to go against the grain of the lies that are planted in our lives by the world.  You know, the lies we hear like looking out for number one – me.  Who deserves our ultimate allegiance?  Read from Matthew chapter ten:

"Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.  Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.”  (Verses 37-39)

My family must take second place (at best).  My own desires and will must also take second place (at best).  My own will for survival must take second place (at best).  First place belongs to God alone.  That means simple obedience in all things.  Simple obedience to God is the cross we must bear, wherever it may take us.  To be simply obedient is to be worthy of Jesus – for Jesus was simply obedient.

So, let’s continue to read the Scriptures.  Let’s speak out for the truth of the way of Jesus.  Let’s humbly do the work that God’s Spirit leads us to.  Let’s join the chorus of testifying with our words and actions that Jesus Christ is the Son of the Living God.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment