Monday, August 22, 2011

May the mumbling commence!

In the deepest and darkest times of despondency and despair, it is essential to remember the reason to hope.  There is a silver lining to the storm clouds.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel (and no it is NOT an oncoming train).  Even in the time of the start to the exile, Jeremiah knew in his lamentation that there was hope in the Lord alone.  May we learn that lesson well when we tackle the toughest times of our lives.  Read from Lamentations 3:19-33 –

I remember my affliction and my wandering,
       the bitterness and the gall. 
I well remember them, 
       and my soul is downcast within me. 
Yet this I call to mind
       and therefore I have hope: 

Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,
       for his compassions never fail. 
They are new every morning;
       great is your faithfulness. 
I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion;
       therefore I will wait for him." 

The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,
       to the one who seeks him; 
it is good to wait quietly
       for the salvation of the Lord. 
It is good for a man
       to bear the yoke while he is young. 

Let him sit alone in silence, 
       for the Lord has laid it on him. 
Let him bury his face in the dust –
       there may yet be hope. 
Let him offer his cheek to one who would strike him,
       and let him be filled with disgrace. 

For men are not cast off by the Lord forever. 
Though he brings grief, he will show compassion,
       so great is his unfailing love. 
For he does not willingly bring
       affliction or grief to the children of men.

I am certain that many of you have heard the words about God’s love, compassion and/or mercies being new every morning.  But did you know that they came in the context of great downfall and ruin?  They came when there was little evidence that they were true.  What faith!  But, what better thing is there to put our faith into than the Faithful One?

If our hope is in the Lord, let us look for Him.  Let us sit in silence and listen for the sound of His voice.  Let us wait patiently on His command.  Let us be patient even as those around us are violent with pain and suffering – offer your cheek to the one who would strike you.  Does this sound familiar?  It should.  They are the words of Jesus from the Sermon on the Mount in the gospel of Matthew. 

Does it surprise you that similar words are spoken in the Old Testament by the prophet Jeremiah?  Yes, there is much violence in the Old Testament; and the violence disturbs me.  But there is also much to the thread of peace throughout the Bible.  Peace was to walk hand-in-hand with justice.  It is injustice that trips us up and spoils any attempt we make at peace.

Finally, let us struggle with the thought that the Lord brings both the bitter and the sweet in our lives.  While the bitter will only last for a time, the sweet will endure forever.  So can we swallow the bitter pills that the Lord gives us for a day so that we can embrace the sweet fellowship with our Lord, with all people, and with all creation.  It is my prayer that I will be able to do so.  It is my prayer that you will be able to do so.  It is my prayer that we will be able to do so.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment