Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The God Who Is; Psalm 22

May the mumbling commence!

Welcome to Holy Week.  Today’s reading from the chronological Bible I am reading includes Psalm 22.  What a wonderful Psalm to read during Holy Week!  While Jesus was on the cross, he quoted from the beginning of this Psalm (Mt 27:46; Mk 15:34).  Jesus said, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

In Sunday school last Sunday, someone asked me: Did God really forsake Jesus?  I wrestled with the answer.  Did Jesus just not feel the presence of his Father because he was in the lowest point of his earthly life or did God forsake Jesus because all the sin of the world, past and present and future, was placed upon Jesus?  Could God not look upon the sin that He abhors?  Or could God not bear to see His Son suffer?

The answers to these questions are important to people going through a valley in their lives.  As I read Psalm 22 in its entirety, the answer becomes clear.  Jesus loved those who crucified him to the very last.  They missed it, but it is there for us to see.  Jesus pointed them to Psalm 22 with this quotation.  Let’s look more deeply at it.

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me,
so far from the words of my groaning? 
O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
            by night, and am not silent. 
Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One; you are the praise of Israel. 
In you our fathers put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them. 
They cried to you and were saved;
            in you they trusted and were not disappointed. 
But I am a worm and not a man,
            scorned by men and despised by the people. 
All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads: 
"He trusts in the Lord; let the Lord rescue him.
            Let him deliver him, since he delights in him." (Verses 1-8)

Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me,
            they have pierced my hands and my feet. 
I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me. 
They divide my garments among them
            and cast lots for my clothing. (Verses 16-18)

All the rich of the earth will feast and worship;
            all who go down to the dust will kneel before him
those who cannot keep themselves alive. 
Posterity will serve him;
            future generations will be told about the Lord.
They will proclaim his righteousness to a people yet unborn –
            for he has done it. (Verses 29-31)

In verses 1-8, we see described the situation of Jesus on the cross – the mocker’ words, the pierced hands and feet, the division of garments and clothing.  Even in the midst of this strife, a great confession is made – the Holy One is still enthroned and salvation is remembered.

Starting with verse 22, there is a turning point.  Declare the name of the Lord, fear Him.  God listens to the cry of the despised, distained, the suffering, and afflicted.  The poor will eat and be satisfied (v 26); the rich will feast and worship.  All things serve Jesus.  All people will know and proclaim his righteousness.  And Jesus came to be servant to all.  Now, all things serve him.  What irony!  What beauty!  What hope!

The Psalm speaks clearly for all to hear: God is here.  God was there.  God will always be there (Rev 1:8).  Let us turn in our times in the valley.  Let us see.  Let us believe.  Let us follow.

Enough mumbling for today…

Peace Out  

No comments:

Post a Comment