Thursday, March 10, 2011

Eliminate Harsh Words, Vows, and Pledges; Num 30-31

May the mumbling commence!
Making vows and pledges to the Lord is serious business.  Once the vow or pledge is uttered, there is no turning back.  The word must not be broken.  As we will find later in our readings, a rash vow could lead to much pain and sorrow.  It is the power of speech, the power of DABAR in Hebrew.  Most people would be better off if they would always think before they speak. 
This holds true whether or not a vow or pledge is being made.  Ever been mad at a loved one?  Ever say something in the heat of the moment that you wished you hadn’t?  If you are perfect in relationships, then think about things that you are passionate about.  Have you ever said or did things behind the wheel of your vehicle because someone invaded your personal space?  Have you ever screamed at the top of your lungs at a sporting event words you wish you hadn’t?  Did you ever embarrass a family member or friend at those sporting events?
Words can and do hurt and maim people, and words cannot be taken back once they are uttered.  For Christians, we are in a season of Lent, the forty day period between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday.  Could you and I seek to give up all those rash words – whether they might come in a heated argument with loved ones or behind the wheel of our vehicles or in a stadium seat?  I believe if we can eliminate harsh words, the world around us will be a more loving place.
It will be a hard row to hoe.  Not everyone around you and I will leave behind such words for Lent, so we will be tested by those who speak rashly to us.  That is where I want to insert a new paradigm.  For me, Lent is not only about giving something up for forty days; it is about trying out new ways of doing things – God ways and Christ ways.  So, if someone speaks or acts rashly to you, find a way to return the hostile speech or act with an act or word of kindness.  
Sometimes, I wish that I had an out when things get tough and I fall short of my goal in following Jesus.  Outs like those described in Numbers chapter thirty.  Women were protected either by their father or husband.  If the male figure in her life nullified her pledge or vow, then she was free from it.  If the male figure said nothing when he learned of the vow, then the vow or pledge would stand.
Here is my pledge for Lent:  I will seek to eliminate all harshly spoken words from my mouth.  I will seek to replace these words with words of kindness to others – even (especially) when I feel they don’t deserve it.  I didn’t deserve the love and sacrifice of Jesus, yet Jesus still sacrificed for me.  Jesus still sacrificed for you.  Jesus still sacrifices for us.  
In part with this vow, I am also seeking to be more active and take better care of my body, the Lord’s temple.  I want and need to be fit.  I have started some mall walking in the mornings.  I am walking for Jesus, who dwells in me through the Holy Spirit. 
I am also preparing to take on the role of Jesus in a play that I wrote for Palm Sunday evening, so I am growing out my beard (my Bible beard, as I call it).  I also believe that reading in the Torah is a great preparation for the role of Jesus.  Torah (the Hebrew Bible) is the only Scripture that Jesus knew. 
I especially look forward to reading Deuteronomy (starting Sunday), because Jesus quoted from this book when he refuted the devil during his temptations in the desert.  So, those of you that know me and see me around town: don’t be surprised to see me talking to myself.  I am currently trying to memorize lines for the play – especially Jesus’ prayer in John 17.
Here’s a brief note of reflection on Numbers chapter 31.  I admit: As a disciple of Christ in a pacifist denomination, I struggle with the war-like nature of Israel.  Israel went to war with Midian at the direction of God to carry out God’s vengeance on Midian.  12,000 fighting Israelite men attacked and killed all the Midianite men.  12,000 fighting Israelite men returned from the battle.  Israel lost no one.  In war, that is unbelievable.  There are no winners in war – only different degrees of losing.  I wonder how much these wars are legend among Israel and how much the Lord actually condoned killing of people.  

I admit: I am drawn to verses 19 and 20, “All of you who have killed anyone or touched anyone who was killed must stay outside of the camp seven days.  On the third a seventh days you must purify yourselves and your captives.  Purify every garment as well as everything made of leather, goat hair, or wood.”  If God demanded purification, could war and the killing of people be holy or righteous?  

It is a matter that I struggle with.  Jesus calls us to love our enemies; Jesus calls us to love the sinner but hate the sin.  How do I love my enemies?  What does that look like?  How do I love the sinner but hate the sin?  There are no easy answers, so I seek to humbly and attentively follow my Lord, my Teacher, and my Savior Jesus Christ. 

Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out  

No comments:

Post a Comment