Monday, February 14, 2011

The Totals Are In; Ex 36:8-38:31

May the mumbling commence!
And the totals are in…
Sometimes, I really appreciate the repetitions in the Scriptures.  Sometimes, they make me weary.  I think the repetitions on the design and making of the Tabernacle would be more engaging if I could see a model of the Tabernacle.  Then, I would get an idea of the scope of the holy tent and an idea of the beauty of the artwork that went into the meeting place for humanity and God.  You know, I could measure out the dimensions of Community Church’s meeting place.  I could describe to you the sanctuary, the chancellery, the fellowship hall, the kitchen, the office, and the Sunday school rooms.  I could describe to you the colors and designs of the stain glass windows.  But the beauty of the meeting place for Community Church would not be real for most people unless they could see images of it – or better yet see it for themselves.
I fondly remember Ralph Kilmer’s model of the Tabernacle.  Ralph (an elder at Bethel Mennonite Church of Wadsworth, Ohio, where I came to faith in Jesus) had built a scale model of the Tabernacle that he brought to share with the children of Vacation Bible School one year.  He had constructed it with great care and attention to detail.  And Ralph shared some of the meaning of the Tabernacle with the children.  His presentation truly brought the Tabernacle to life for the children (and for me).
But, today, I slogged through the descriptions for the second time searching for something to reflect upon.  Today was not the pinnacle of spiritual experience for me.  It is the truth for most (if not all) people who successfully do daily Scripture reading.  Every day is not a mountaintop experience.  That being said, I was grateful to find at the end of my reading today, at the end of Exodus 38, a total of the precious metals that were used in the construction of the temple.  Here they are in today’s measurement standards:
Gold = about one metric ton
Silver = three-and-three-quarters ton
Bronze = two-and-a-half ton.
Now, that is some heavy metal!  At today’s prices, what would the raw material of these types of metal be worth?  Well, for me, it will be easier to think about in terms of pounds.  So, the gold used would have been about 2,200 lbs.  The silver would have been about 7,500 lbs.  And the bronze would have been about 5,000 lbs.
OK, what are the going rates for gold, silver, and bronze?  Here’s what I found when I Googled: The price of gold per pound would be around $21,000.  The price of silver per pound would be around $500.  The price of bronze per pound would be about $10.  Using these round numbers, this would be the current value of the gold: $4,620,000.  The silver would be worth: $3,750,000.  And the bronze would be worth: $50,000.
So, today’s total worth of these materials would be about… $8,420,000!  At going rates for a Class “A” RV, that amount alone would buy a fleet of over fifty nice RV’s!  We are not talking about some beat up gypsy wagons here.  Talk about traveling in style!  Sure beats the “Madden Cruiser” that John Madden used to tour the continental United States to announce NFL football games!  Could we think of our Lord as mobile again today?  No, our God cannot be contained even in the beauty of the grandest church building.  What about an RV church?  What about an eighteen wheeler church?  I know about a missionary over-the-road truck driving couple who carry their worship service across the country to various truck stops along the way.  Isn’t that great?  Reaching out for Christ in one of the most mobile professions in our country!
I give thanks this day for Ralph.  I give thanks for those, like my brother, Steve, who travel the many miles of Interstate to deliver goods to people day in and day out.  And I give thanks for those who think creatively and use their talents to glorify God on the road.
Enough mumbling for now…  
Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment