Saturday, January 22, 2011

Power.

May the mumbling commence!

How do we use power?  To influence for good or evil?  In Genesis 26:7, I see the sins of the father revealed in his son, Isaac.  Need I say more?  May God make me aware of my sins and help me to defeat them, so that my son will not see them and duplicate them…

How do we use power?  To disappoint?  In Genesis 26:34-35, marriage affects the whole family.  When Esau married two Hittite women, it caused grief for his parents.  Marrying outside of your culture can cause greater grief.  Perhaps, we see the wisdom of Abraham’s matching for Isaac in this negative example.  And was this a symptom of Esau’s irreverence toward his own family and the promise of God that went with it (See Genesis 25:27-34.  Esau sells his birthright for lentil stew and bread – despising his birthright.)..?

How do we use power?  To favor?  Do we have favorites with our children?  Isaac favored Esau.  Rebekah favored Jacob.  It eventually caused them problems.  For God does not choose favorites by His eyes or His tastes (Isaac had a weakness for that wild game).  While I have only one son, I have the opportunity as a school bus driver and a pastor to influence many children.  Do I play favorites?  I give thanks for these opportunities to influence.  May I see each child that crosses my path as a child of God…

How do we use power?  To share?  I look at Isaac in Genesis 26:16-22, and I see a man of power.  Abimelech sends Isaac away because of his growing power and wealth.  Isaac was powerful. 

So, when his servants dug a well for fresh water and some other herdsmen claimed it as theirs, what would Isaac do?  Water is a precious resource.  It gives life – life to all creatures on earth.  And Isaac’s wealth was in domesticated animals – Animals that would need water.  Isaac would fight for the water, wouldn’t he?

No.  Isaac had his servants move on and dig another well.  Once again, when they found water, others claimed it as theirs.  This time, Isaac would fight for his right to water – water that his servants discovered.  Right?

No.  Isaac again asked his servants to move on and dig another well.  This time, when they found water, no one disputed it.  And Isaac gave thanks to the Lord for making space for them.

Do I see others needs?  Do I use my power to fill those needs, or do I think selfishly only of myself?  Thank you, O God, for the power that you give us.  May we use it wisely…

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment